From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Add a KEYWORD representing any arch
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:27:59
1 On Sun, 2014-01-19 at 10:46 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Now what problem are we trying to solve? As I see it, it is mainly
3 > one of manpower, namely that some arch teams cannot keep up with
4 > stable requests, and I doubt that any technical solution will help
5 > to solve this. Introducing a "noarch" keyword or allowing "*" will
6 > potentially cause problems with dependency resolution.
7 >
8 > Instead, we should come up with a clear set of rules under what
9 > circumstances package maintainers are allowed to stabilise ebuilds
10 > themselves on all architectures.
13 When they have machines that cover all architectures - assuming there is
14 some sort of machine code at all. Otherwise, why even bother having
15 stable keywords? Everyone keeps going on about how they will
16 potentially have issues because something old is stable - I've thrown
17 out that maybe we should (after a certain amount of time - when cleaning
18 maybe?) remove all keywords except the only stable one, and then leaving
19 it up to the slow arches.
20
21 I know what the dev manual says, but I'd much rather have an old ebuild
22 that's KEYWORDS="-* arm" than have that ebuild removed because a new one
23 is KEYWORDS="arm" that doesn't work at all. Everyone else keeps talking
24 in the theoretical, and I'm talking an actual issue. This affects me
25 and my workflow and ask ryao about how he wanted to emerge git-9999 to
26 look into fixing it...
29 -- steev