From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.13 going into ~ARCH soon
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:56:35
1 Hi List!
2
3 This is a heads up to say that I'm going to be putting baselayout-1.13 into
4 ~ARCH soon as all the exciting new features I wanted are in - FreeBSD and
5 vserver support, buffered and wrapped einfo/ewarn/eerror output, rc-depend
6 for lightning fast dependency sorting, no more critical services, no more net
7 service specific code.
8
9 So if you're concerned about any of the above features breaking your precious
10 Gentoo, now is a very good time to test :)
11
12 However, one issue is a concern. All baselayouts defined svcdir
13 in /etc/conf.d/rc which defines where we hold the state information of the
14 running services. This defaulted to /var/lib/init.d - which is bad as /var
15 could be on a different partition.
16
17 In 1.13, we've removed the variable from /etc/conf.d/rc and it's now forced
18 to /lib/rcscripts/init.d which is safe as /lib is always on the same
19 partition as /. The 1.13 ebuild will copy across existing state data, this is
20 not the problem. However, downgrading back to 1.12 is a problem as services
21 may have been stop, started etc in the middle.
22
23 One solution is to ensure that we only hold one copy of the state data and
24 move it to the new location. However, this does require altering the stable
25 ebuild as well.
26
27 Or we could just slap a very large warning on it.
28
29 Ideas are welcome :)
32 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
33 Gentoo/Linux/FreeBSD Developer (baselayout, networking)
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list