From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Rainer Groesslinger <rainer.groesslinger@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:07:42
1 On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:00:51AM +0200, Rainer Groesslinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 14 April 2003 00:25, Brad Laue wrote:
3 > > Given the increasing size of the portage tree I'm becoming concerned
4 > > about the rate at which ebuilds move from the unstable ~arch keyword to
5 > > the stable one.
6 >
7 > correct, same here.
8 > Additionally there are many ebuilds in the tree that should be removed
9 > again...for example most of the game mods (not because I don't like gamers
10 > just because e.g. osp for quake3 isn't maintained although quite some time
11 > passed already since the last osp release(s) and in a multiplayer game it's
12 > useless to have an old version of something ;)
13
14 Submit an updated ebuild.
17 > > Has a formalized process been discussed for this? The first thing that
18 > > comes to mind is a set of tinderboxes designed to build packages with
19 > > predictable flags sending reports to each ebuild maintainer.
20 >
21 > Problem: Gentoo doesn't have maintainers !
22 > It has been discussed to introduce a MAINTAINER="xxxx@g.o" thing in the
23 > ebuilds but it seems like the idea got dropped by the core developers (or
24 > didn't even get attention, I don't know).
25 >
26 > The only real maintainer is carpaski for portage, most other packages are
27 > worked on by more or less "Freelancers"...
28 > Sure, many people are related to something, but you can't see who is the
29 > maintainer of a certain package.
30 > Just imagine...there are some packages where version 0.1 was submitted by dev
31 > A, 0.2 by dev B and 0.2.1 by dev C and 0.3 again by dev B etc.
34 Read changelogs.
35
36 > Not, that this is bad at all, but it would be much better to have "real"
37 > maintainers like almost every other distribution has, too.
38
39 We have real maintainers. For example, I maintain a handful of packages.
40
41 Could you be more specific about what constitutes a "real" maintainer?
44 > > The second is more practical and within reach; advocacy of
45 > > stable.gentoo.org, and a policy of accepting a package as stable when
46 > > five or more users have vouched for it and two weeks have passed without
47 > > a bug report.
48 >
49 > stable.gentoo.org is _great_ ! Thanks so much to blizzy (unfortunatly he's not
50 > in the dev team any more). The problem here is that this site must be pushed
51 > quite hard because there are packages in the tree only a few people use and
52 > if those people don't use stable.gentoo.org they won't be stable anytime soon
53 > or might - in a bad case - be pushed into stable because nobody complain
54 > although it's just because nobody uses stable.gentoo.org
58 Jon Portnoy
59 avenj/irc.freenode.net
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list