From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:29:01
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday, September 15, 2011 09:27:06 AM Zac Medico wrote:
4 > > It should be similar to how sys-apps/v86d is used for uvesafb support.
5 > > It installs /usr/share/v86d/initramfs and when you configure your
6 > > kernel, you set CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/usr/share/v86d/initramfs" in
7 > > order to have in included in your kernel image.
8 >
9 > Will this be set somewhere globally to the initramfs automatically?
10 > And doesn't this mean that a new kernel will need to be build just to
11 > satisfy
12 > this?
13 >
14 > I'm trying to think of how best to avoid users who are not aware to get
15 > caught
16 > with non-booting systems.
17 >
18 > Wouldn't automatic inclusion into grub.conf be a better approach? Not sure
19 > if
20 > grub.conf can handle a "global" setting for initramfs.
23 Well, the only way to set a kernel config parameter is to rebuild the
24 kernel. There might be some way to extract the built-in initramfs (every
25 kernel has one) and replace it with the new one without rebuilding it, but I
26 doubt most users would prefer that we mount /boot and start modifying their
27 kernel images.
28
29 Changes to grub.conf will only be properly merged if /boot is mounted, if
30 grub is installed (don't laugh - I checked and since my system was migrated
31 so many times I don't actually have the package installed any longer), and
32 the user actually merges the changes in. Fiddling with grub.conf isn't
33 exactly risk-free either.
34
35 I think something like this is best handled via news.
36
37 Note also that depending on your definition of "broken" the separate /usr
38 situation is already broken. It will probably steadily become more broken
39 over time, so when it stops booting altogether for any particular user might
40 happen anytime from a year ago to never.
41
42 Rich