From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:28:13
1 On 09/30/2015 01:22 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:35 AM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr.
3 > <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 9/29/15 3:32 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> The thing is that I think the libressl authors are shooting themselves
6 >>> in the feet. When upstreams do this sort of thing they think they're
7 >>> making the upgrade path easier by not changing their symbol names. In
8 >>> reality, they're making the upgrade path harder by preventing
9 >>> side-by-side adoption of the new solution.
10 >>
11 >> Yeah, it's not that obvious how to handle it best.
12 >>
13 >> Curious - how would the alternative look like? My reasoning is that if
14 >> upstream changes symbols, that makes it easy for a distro to install it
15 >> side-by-side. However, for anything to use such modified lib, they'd
16 >> need to change all callers to use the alternative function names,
17 >> wouldn't they?
18 >
19 > Essentially, or somebody has to write a wrapper library. But, once
20 > you start changing the APIs everybody has to start tweaking their code
21 > anyway to use the modified function prototypes. Of course, they only
22 > need to tweak the 10% of functions that changed, and not all of them.
23 >
24 > Effectively it would mean that the new library would start out with
25 > zero users, which is why nobody does it that way. However, I think
26 > the end result is worse, unless you maintain strict compatibility.
27 >
28 > It hasn't been as much of a problem with mariadb because they haven't
29 > gone changing all their APIs/protocols/etc.
30 >
31 > This is the sort of thing that Java was trying to stop with their
32 > compatibility requirements, and what a lot of companies try to do with
33 > trademark. The problem is that trademark doesn't really extend well
34 > into things like symbol names and APIs.
35 >
36 > Perhaps the in-between solution would be for forking upstreams to
37 > preserve the same symbol names as long as the APIs are identical, and
38 > change them when they are not. I don't really see that having any
39 > more impact on downstream consumers than silently changing the APIs
40 > and it would probably get rid of the symbol collision problem.
43 Again: can you take that to libressl mailing list or start another thread?