From: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:56:47
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 03:19, Troy Dack wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 15:59, Jan Krueger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 07 September 2003 03:08, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > > > Come on guys, think what is best for the *distro* (meaning,
5 > > > what will work best for the other 90% of users,
6 >
7 > I'd say 95% of user, but that's just me :P
8 >
9 > > From my point of view the best for the 90% of users in this case
10 > > (make.conf) would be:
11 > > 1. a very precise documentation with examples about the user settable
12 > > things for make.conf thats accessable via a standard command, like man
13 > > make.conf or info make.conf
14 >
15 > How imprecise and unaccessible is:
16 >
17 > nano -w /etc/make.conf
18 >
19 > All settings are commented, and commented well, and it's available using
20 > standard commands (you could even use ed or a combination of cat, less,
21 > head & tail if you really wanted to)
22
23 And duplicated in the make.conf man page. Why duplicate documentation in
24 two different places and open the door to discrepancies between them?
25 Also, shouldn't we teach by example the proper places to get documentation
26 instead of creating a reliance on 'self documented' config files?
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list