From: James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 05:22:25
1 On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:02:35PM -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
2 > > > We could just set the RDEPEND in the binary packages to be >= the
3 > > > versions installed on the system that compiled the package.
4 > >
5 > > Nope, this won't work, for the building-against-openssl-0.9.6-but-
6 > > deploying-against-openssl-0.9.7 reasons.
7 >
8 > It will if the 0.9.7 binary packages include the 0.9.6 libraries as well.
9
10 This isn't sensible for two reasons:
11 The GRP isn't specially treated in any way. It's just a bunch of
12 packages that Gentoo happened to build, QA, and distribute. To implement
13 your proposal someone would need to build every version of the package
14 and merge them into a super-package. For something as large and
15 frequently-updated as openssl, this would be prohibitive. (You can't
16 just build every ebuild in the tree, you have to build every ebuild
17 that's ever been in the tree.)
18
19 The second reason is more philosophical: the reason this problem arises
20 at all is that we don't have a strong mapping between ebuild and
21 package contents, other than version. If we start artificially supplying a
22 mapping, we're weaving this weakness into our tools, which makes it very
23 difficult to upgrade or improve in the future.
26 When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list