From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mulltiib cruft: /emul
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:05:19
1 On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:21 +0100, Herbie Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 11:43:13AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > someone remind me why our emul packages install in some obscure directory tree
4 > > rooted in /emul
5 > >
6 > > if we moved these things to the standard lib32 dirs, it would certainly ease
7 > > the pain of people doing multilib building, both in and out of portage
10 > Mike, Sorry I missed you on irc yesterday, didn't get back til later than
11 > expected.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure why /emul was originally chosen though it's a choice I've
14 > just gone along with whilst maintaining these packages. I've always
15 > viewed the emul libs as a temporary measure until we had full multilib
16 > fuctionality in portage. Afaik the only person working on this was
17 > eradicator who has been mia for a while now so I'm unsure weather this
18 > is ever likely to arise. Given that it looks like we'll be stuck with
19 > these binary libs for some time yet then we may as well do as you
20 > suggest and install them in a standard location to make building against
21 > them a bit easier. I'll look into doing this when I next version bump the
22 > packages.
23
24 Don't forget that this will require an update to (at least)
25 eselect-opengl, too.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team