From: Matt Thrailkill <xwred1@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:14:17
1 On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 15:49, donnie berkholz wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 18:15, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
3 > > In my opinion this "... we are a source distribution -- we do not deliver
4 > > binaries" is the false way doing things. We really _need_ both: sources
5 > > and binaries. And I would really like to see Gentoo move a bit toward
6 > > distributing binaries as well. Maybe RPM, maybe DEB. Portage should make
7 > > it possible. Just have a look at FreeBSD: it is mainly a source
8 > > distribution, but you can have binary packages for everything in the ports
9 > > tree if you want.
10 > >
11 > > It would really be nice if I could find all compiled packages as binary in
12 > > some directory after compilation of the base distribution finished. Superb
13 > > if I could define some flag somewhere telling Gentoo generating "RPM",
14 > > "DEB", or "pkg" binary packages.
15 > >
16 > > This way I get all the best of both worlds: binaries for those not having
17 > > the time to compile all and everything from scratch, sources for those,
18 > > who like to have an amazingly actual, up to date, and optimized system.
19 >
20 > Examine the FEATURES="buildpkg" documentation in make.conf, also emerge
21 > --help for -b and -B options.
22
23 And so, because Portage really has good enough package support (I saw
24 someone mention a make.conf parameter for remote fetching, was that real
25 or suggested?), why not maybe have some people organize a side project
26 of building and hosting bins as companions to ebuilds?
27
28 Doing it doesn't take away from the source aspect... its not like you
29 have to make a compromise in any way for it to happen.
30
31 I already froze a Portage snapshot a while ago that I have my Gentoo
32 machines sync from, I've been thinking about figuring some way for a
33 script to traverse all the ebuilds in it and build them all.
34
35 I'm all for optional bins. A la FreeBSD. Portage and Gentoo were
36 inspired by FreeBSD, I think it us a good example to follow - they have
37 twice as many ports as Gentoo has ebuilds, and they have a system of
38 remotely installing bins.
39
40 It suppose it would take alot of resources to host bins to match
41 EVERYTHING in x86 as it moves forward... I'd be content with just bins
42 to match whatever Portage snapshot makes it into a release. I
43 downloaded iso2 of 1.4.1, its already got some bins; just make more,
44 make them remotely fetchable.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list