From: Jeffrey Forman <jforman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: patches.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:56:18
1 After a somewhat lengthy discussion among a couple of the infra dev's
2 and Nick, we came to some conclusions
3
4 (1) A single point of distribution is just a bad idea imho. Imagine a
5 critical patch that MUST GET OUT IMMEDIATELY (differing opinions of
6 'must get out now' apply). You get thousands, even tens of thousands of
7 people hitting patches.g.o and you can wave goodbye to that machine.
8
9 (2) The distribution network is there for a reason. Let me be the first
10 one to admit that it isnt perfect. Once you place something on
11 /space/distfiles-local, it hits two machines before it hits the world,
12 taking between an hour and four hours (theoretically) to go public.
13 Latency is involved in whichever solution we can propose, short of
14 giving everyone write access to our master mirror.
15
16 (3) Whether we use distfiles mirrors, or the rsync rotation to
17 distribute patches, this has not been decided upon. The idea was
18 broached for a couple minutes earlier today but not even a preliminary
19 solution was conjured.
20
21 Infra has complete control over the rsync.g.o rotation, so coming up
22 with ways to improve it that way can be worked out. I am sure this will
23 be a topic during the next dev meeting, if not listed, I will definitely
24 mention it.
25
26 My 2 infra cents...Get irate, berate, celebrate.
27 -Jeffrey
28