From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [PMS] new dep list (useful just for cross stuff)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 09:24:14
1 yesterday we discussed about cross development and why the gentoo
2 support for it works just to a point (and then has something missing)
3
4 There are already some convoluted ideas about multiabi/multilib support
5 with patches being discussed and there are some handy scripts that let
6 you cross emerge stuff to a point (it has to be an autotooled package or
7 has to be cross aware, it shouldn't depend on running certain programs).
8
9 the first way aims at integrate the multiabi concept in a quite tight
10 way, the other just makes portage consider it a completely separated
11 beast and just ignore the rest.
12
13 The nicer way should be just have another dep list that shows which
14 rdeps should REALLY be run in order to get the package built and which
15 are just deps needed to run the package itself.
16
17 the simple/dumb way to treat this list is something like:
18
19 you walk the cross dep list, for each atom in the dep with a run to
20 build dep prepare a list to feed to the host configured package manager
21 and build it first, then move to the cross dep list and threat it as it
22 is a completely separated instance.
23
24 Sounds too simple to be complete but I think for simple stuff like doc
25 creation and cvs/svn/git/hg.. dep for live ebuilds should work pretty fine.
26
27 PMS overlords what's your take?
28
29 lu