From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages that explicitly DEPEND on sys-apps/sed
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:51:53
1 On Tuesday, June 14, 2011 19:27:47 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:08:54AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > The implicit system set dependency thing really, really needs to die;
5 > > > at the time of the rule, portage couldn't handle resolving graphs of
6 > > > that sort. ?PM resolvers for gentoo are generally a fair bit saner
7 > > > now thus doing what you're suggesting isn't really beneficial (frankly
8 > > > it causes some issues for stages, as zac noted).
9 > >
10 > > ++
11 > >
12 > > It seems to me that the best policy would be for every package to just
13 > > list all its dependencies, and then users are free to run the default
14 > > experience that includes everything in @system, or a more trimmed-down
15 > > experience.
16 >
17 > An annoying, but valid complaint agains this is that the deps start
18 > getting heavy to maintain for developers, and aren't always viable to
19 > represent. Unpackers for example, are a pain in the ass for current
20 > EAPIs- that could be reduced in pain via addition of basic implicit
21 > deps to EAPI5 (if a src_uri ends in .bz2, then dep on virtual/bzip2).
22
23 i think you vastly underestimate how bad this is. what you're proposing is
24 the majority list:
25 sys-apps/baselayout (after all, it provides / /usr /usr/share /etc)
26 app-shells/bash
27 sys-apps/coreutils
28 sys-apps/gawk
29 sys-apps/grep
30 sys-apps/sed (every autotooled package uses it)
31 sys-apps/which (g'luck tracking down all the consumers)
32 sys-devel/gcc
33 sys-devel/binutils
34 virtual/libc
35 sys-apps/make
36
37 requiring people to remember to use these deps if their ebuild happens to
38 execute them is silly:
39 sys-apps/diffutils (provides `patch` after all)
40 sys-apps/findutils
41
42 archiving/compression deps absolutely need to be in the PM. otherwise you're
43 talking about:
44 app-arch/tar (a quick count shows 22k ebuilds need it out of all 27k)
45 app-arch/gzip (14k ebuilds)
46 app-arch/bzip2 (8k ebuilds)
47
48 these are mostly done already via the autotools eclass, so these should get
49 dropped from system:
50 sys-devel/autoconf
51 sys-devel/automake
52 sys-devel/libtool
53 sys-devel/m4
54
55 > The trickier point is gcc, but in my view, that's where we get the
56 > most gain- if the toolchain is represented in the deps it makes
57 > integrated cross compilation easier (keyword is integrated; crossdev
58 > already makes it reasonably straightforward I realize).
59
60 i dont understand this at all. sounds to me like this complicates cross-
61 compilation unnecessarily.
62 -mike