From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing glibc's default locale.gen
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 20:21:36
1 On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 15:53:01 Matt Turner wrote:
2 > No user has a need for more than some small subset of the total
3 > available locales.
4
5 the rub is in which locales the user cares about
6
7 > I filed bug [1] to request the ability to select locales in catalyst
8 > spec files, but no responses after six months -- which is totally
9 > typical of catalyst bugs.
10
11 i thought catalyst had a way of overlaying custom files. if it does, couldnt
12 you simply overlay the /etc/locale.gen file ?
13
14 > I commented in bug [2] suggesting that we perhaps reduce the default
15 > locale.gen to only 'en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' or some other limited subset.
16 >
17 > The default subset should be sufficient for a large number of users,
18 > and users whose locales aren't shipped by default would simply be able
19 > to edit /etc/locale.gen (which I'm sure almost everyone does anyway)
20 > to select their desired locale and then run locale-gen to generate it
21 > and remove unwanted locales.
22
23 i dont think the subset should ever be arbitrarily reduced by whatever we feel
24 like picking. you could however make an argument about filtering the default
25 set based on LINGUAS that my brain matter would be open to accepting. feel
26 free to open a glibc enhancement bug with a patch or PoC in that direction.
27 -mike