From: scott worley <folokai@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ALSA permissions
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:37:59
1 Hi,
2
3 I have rc6 up and running with one small issue.
4
5 ALSA is only creating two entries in /dev:
6
7 /dev/dmmidi root.root -> sound/dmidi root.audio
8 /dev/midi00 root.root -> sound/midi00 root.audio
9
10 The other sound dev nodes are not being created by ALSA when it loads. I have the following modules loaded:
11 snd-card-emu10k1
12 snd-emu10k1
13 snd-rawmidi
14 snd-ac97-codec
15 snd-pcm
16 snd-timer
17 snd-mixer
18 snd-emux-mem
19 snd-seq-device
20 snd
21 ac97-codec
22 soundcore
23
24 The ALSA INSTALL doc in the tar ball states for a devfs system, you do not need to create permanent devnodes, run the snddevices script during installation. So I'm not sure why the mixer, sequencer and other nodes are not being created by ALSA.
25
26 The other problem is one I've seen on other distributions. The symlinks ALSA does create are root.root whereas the actual device is root.audio. In the past I've had to manually change the snddevices script to get root.audio for the symlink ownership. This was on non-devfs systems. I assume the driver is setting the permission when it creates the symlink. I checked /etc/devfsd.conf and it is setting permissions to root.audio for devices in /dev/sound & /dev/snd directories. Is this an ALSA problem or am I not configuring something correctly? Found no answers for this in the devfs FAQ and man pages.
27
28 Thanks in advance,
29 scott worley
30 folokai@×××××××××.net