From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:12:44
1 On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 19:33 -0600, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:24:27PM -0500, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
3 > > I'm also commenting on the part that *wrongly* states "It is not
4 > > reasonable to expect all users to have an MTA, *web browser*, email
5 > > client, cron daemon or text processing suite available on their system.
6 > > In particular, this means that any markup to be parsed must be in a very
7 > > simple format."
8 > >
9 > > *ALL* of the official docs are GuideXML; Gentoo *expects* users to have
10 > > a web browser by default. Otherwise a vast majority of users would never
11 > > get Gentoo installed in the first place. The "lightweight" requirement
12 > > appears to just be your way of subverting the current documentation
13 > > standards (because of your XML hatred).
14 >
15 > We actually have links in the base profile iirc, either way, the
16 > example of where this breaks down is headless servers...
17
18 There are no web browsers in the base profile, the stages, nor in the
19 "system" target for any architecture or project.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
24 x86 Architecture Team
25 Games - Developer