From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] network sandbox challenge
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 11:33:16
1 On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 11:29 +0000, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
2 > Hi Michał,
3 >
4 > On 3/27/20 5:59 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Stop here. If you think that you need to 'break network sandbox', you
6 > > already have the wrong attitude and shouldn't continue. Network sandbox
7 > > is not your enemy. Using network is.
8 > >
9 > > Network sandbox protects users from paying extra because you've written
10 > > a bad ebuild that unexpectedly downloads lot of data on their mobile
11 > > connection. Network sandbox makes sure that we don't end up delivering
12 > > stuff that doesn't work to people who are on isolated networks or simply
13 > > have non-permanent connections. Network sandbox makes sure that these
14 > > ebuilds will work three months from now when upstream randomly decides
15 > > to remove old files or shuffle servers, or just get hits by a temporary
16 > > issue.
17 > >
18 > > There's no 'breaking the network sandbox'. You must fix the ebuild not
19 > > to require Internet.
20 >
21 > That is an awesome concept for producing ebuilds, since I could be using
22 > dist-cc and compiling multiple profiles using dedicated computing
23 > cluster leveraging available resources within a sandbox with very
24 > restricted access. This is a very nice pattern on resource management.
25 > This is another reason why I like Gentoo very much, with the SQA
26 > assurance of the high quality rules, and persuade me to invest my time
27 > using this wonderful distro.
28 >
29 > I understand that network sandbox only restricts the build environment,
30 > but wouldn't the urls in SRC_URI be a problem when referencing sites
31 > that are not reliable? Shouldn't be relevant to define those sites that
32 > give better assurance for syncing the required binaries?
33
34 SRC_URI is well-defined, and that makes it possible for us and users to
35 develop consistent solutions. We have Gentoo mirror network to increase
36 reliability when upstream servers fail. Users can deploy local mirrors
37 to increase reliability further, improve throughput and make things work
38 in semi-isolated networks.
39
40 > Same question for unpack context when using directly the source
41 > repository with vcs functions.
42
43 VCS ebuilds generally suck, for multiple reasons. We allow users to use
44 them but with minimal support. However, e.g. git-r3 supports local
45 mirrors to resolve some problems.
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny