From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hi....
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 22:38:20
1 On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:48:46PM -0700, Michael Weichert wrote:
2
3 > Wonderful Distro! I have made my own linux-based operating system for a
4 > college project, and would love to include the Portage packaging system with
5 > it. Could you please direct me to where I would get a tar-ball of Portage?
6
7 One thing that I should explain -- Portage isn't *just* a ports tree. We use
8 it to build the entire Gentoo Linux distribution. Unlike FreeBSD, all the
9 stuff you would normally find in /usr/src is modularized and included in the
10 Portage tree. So, the fine-grained configurability and flexibility you expect
11 from ports is available at all levels; for example, you can build a Gentoo
12 Linux system with or without readline or gettext support. slang and PAM can
13 also be toggled on or off at build-time. Not only that, but we also support a
14 special feature called "system profiles". Basically, it allows *you* to define
15 what the distribution will look like.
16
17 So, if you'd like to use Portage, I have a suggestion. Rather than
18 incorporating Portage into your personal distribution, why not incorporate your
19 personal distribution into Portage, and thus Gentoo Linux? That way, we can
20 have a special "weichert" system profile can can be used to build a Gentoo
21 Linux system that's set up exactly the way you like it. In effect, it would
22 still be your own customized distribution, but it would exist as an option for
23 all Gentoo Linux users, allowing others to use the "weichert" profile if they
24 so desire.
25
26 By doing so, we'd be able to benefit from one another's work. You'd gain
27 access to our 700 or so up-to-date packages, our gcc-3.0 build testing, new
28 kernels, bug fixes, Portage improvements, etc. etc. and we'd benefit from your
29 improvements to the Portage tree, your system profile(s), and of course your
30 ideas, suggestions and friendship :) The one sacrifice you would need to make
31 is that you would be committing to work in a team (rather than individual)
32 development environment. I think this would be the best arrangement, since
33 then you'll have a voice in the future of Portage development. And if you're
34 going to base your distro around Portage, you really should be working closely
35 with us.
36
37 Best Regards,
40 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>