From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 23:18:46
1 On 09/06/16 00:08, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >
3 > > This could lead to a future where the Gentoo tree is largely
4 > > superseded. Every user would just have their own repository, where
5 > > they could pick and choose packages from other users. The Gentoo tree
6 > > would just focus on a high-quality repository of the basic/core things
7 > > that everybody needs. Gentoo devs would spend most of their time
8 > > maintaining curated small and useful repositories.
9 >
10 > [...]
11 >
12 > > The final step is the most difficult (but then again we might never
13 > > get so far). It is two-fold. First we make the core/base repository.
14 > > Then we identify important subsets that can be logically separated
15 > > into repositories, and do this.
18 > Sigh. Every 2 years somebody else comes up with the same silly idea.
19 >
20 > 1) Who defines what everybody needs?
21 > 2) How do you enforce security and/or qa requirements on the rest?
22 > 3) Will you allow non-core dependencies? What guarantees are made there?
23 > 4) How do you make sure that different split-out repos actually work
24 > together?
25 > 5) "logically separated subsets" means either "loss of functionality" or
26 > "impossible to do"
27 >
28 > Independent of how many magic tools you whip up this will be a
29 > significant
30 > step down in functionality and quality, and a big step towards a big
31 > unmanageable steaming pile of cr...
35 +2