From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ben Kohler <bkohler@g.o>, x86@g.o, release@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo i486 support
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 20:19:34
1 On 08/22/2018 08:26 AM, Ben Kohler wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > For some time now, we've been shipping broken i486 stage3s that do not
5 > run on pre-i686 hardware [1].  Due to a change in catalyst [2], we no
6 > longer set CXXFLAGS in the default make.conf, so the x86 profiles' (imho
7 > wrong/broken) defaults [3] kick in.
8 >
9 > I'd like to get this fixed, and I see 3 possible solutions, listed in
10 > order of my own preference:
11 >
12 > 1) Adjust x86 profile defaults to drop the problematic -march=i686. This
13 > would be more in line with amd64 profiles (et al), which set no -march
14 > value so it can run on any hardware for this arch.
15 >
16 > 2) Patch catalyst to start setting CXXFLAGS again.  Rather than roll
17 > back to exactly CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" again, it's been suggested that we
18 > start setting COMMON_FLAGS, and CFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS}"
19 > CXXFLAGS=${COMMON_FLAGS}" etc.  I prepared such a patch a while back
20 > [4], which seems to work but may need a bit of updating.
21 >
22 > 3) Drop i486 support.  We're only pretending to have support now, we
23 > could officially stop building these broken stages completely.
24 >
25 > Personally I think #1 is the most technically correct and least amount
26 > of work.  The only result will be slightly less optimized builds for
27 > people who choose not to customize *FLAGS at all in make.conf.  But this
28 > is correct behavior.  What we have now is akin to setting -march=core2
29 > on amd64 stage3 and saying "oops it doesn't work on early 64bit AMD
30 > cpus, but oh well most people have newer and will appreciate the
31 > optimization".
32 Agreed.
33 >
34 > Thoughts?