From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use of "nomirror" flag
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:25:41
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >I'm going to also assume that we are still following the "if it has its
4 >own mirror, is commercial, or is extremely large (200+MB)" that we
5 >nomirror it, correct?
9 Not as a rule of thumb, no.. Last time I had checked (January), the
10 "nomirror" packages were only saving our mirrors about a gig.. This was
11 with the exception of any games (Neverwinter Nights is what brought the
12 whole space issue to light).
13
14 "If it has it's own mirror" is not a good reason.. We relied on the
15 mysql mirror network for a while and had problems.. Sourceforge always
16 gives problems. This also defeats the purpose of relying upon a local
17 mirror to grab your packages, for speed and bandwidth sake.
18
19 >I mean... There's about 10 Quake3 mods that weigh in at over 400-500MB a
20 >piece that are non-commercial and free to redistribute, but we nomirror
21 >every last one of them.
25 Yeah, for some reason some mirrors have been touchy with regards to the
26 games, which is why I made the exception above. Personally, I don't
27 mind carrying the extra load with games as long as they are legit to
28 carry, but we also have to play nice with the mirrors out there donating
29 their resources to Gentoo. With that in mind, I would leave the
30 nomirror flag in for those large game packages. I apologize for not
31 explaining that in the original note.
32
33 Cheers,
34
35 -Corey
38 Corey Shields
39 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team and Devrel Team
40 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
41 http://www.gentoo.org/~cshields
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list