From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-free software in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 08:20:35
1 Le 28/12/2009 06:36, Vincent Launchbury a écrit :
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I recently emailed the Gentoo PR team, voicing my concerns about the
5 > amount of non-free software within Gentoo. I got an interesting response
6 > from Sebastian Pipping, who said that while Gentoo is all about choice,
7 > including the choice to install non-free software, the project is
8 > interested in making it easy for people to run a 100% free system,
9 > should they choose that path.
10
11 Gentoo - like the rest of Free and Open Source Software - isn't about
12 choice, it's about empowering users.
13
14 Gentoo gives you tools and documentation to do whatever you wish. It
15 doesn't mean that we (Gentoo) _have_ to support it.
16
17 With that out of the way, moving on to the rest of the mail.
18
19 > 1) Not all of the licenses are completely accurate. For example, the
20 > Linux kernels are listed as soley GPL-2, yet they contain blobs of
21 > non-free firmware.
22
23 Indeed, that's a very good point. And that's precisely why I was against
24 ACCEPT_LICENSE to begin with.
25
26 It's a good idea on paper, but it's just not feasible at a large scale
27 (like portage) without a proper _team_ of devoted people sifting through
28 code and license blobs to make it useful. I'm also pretty sure a couple
29 lawyers would be needed as well.
30
31 Unless people dedicate time and effort, ACCEPT_LICENSE is useless.
32
33 [snip]
34
35 The rest of your points are indeed all valid as well.
36
37 I can only encourage you to either work with individual developers to
38 get ebuilds fixed (USE=bindist or whatever) or join our ranks to fix
39 this yourself if you really want a "pure" Free Gentoo.
40
41 > This is my first post here, so I apologize if it's misdirected. I'm not
42 > sure if I'd really be able to help much on the technical side, but if
43 > this garners any cooperation, I'll gladly help out with anything I can.
44 > If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
45
46 I'd say this is probably better suited for gentoo-project, but it's
47 probably ok to start here, to gauge interest :)
48
49 Best of luck
50
51 Rémi