From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Intel's Management Engine
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 21:33:33
1 On 01/01/2017 04:12 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 01/01/17 21:01, james wrote:
3 >> Is there a group of gentoo devs interested in the security aspects of
4 >> internal, and often non-disclosed, hardware, as I cannot seem to find
5 >> such a group, if it exists?
8 >> Is there any interest in such a gentoo-dev project?
11 >> Here is a teaser page [1]. Many others exist. On gentoo-user,
12 >> there have been threads about coreboot and other related topics,
13 >> even recently. At the least a wiki page itemizing known issues
14 >> and possible workarounds, or is that appropriate for the gentoo-wiki?
17 >> curiously,
18 >> James
21 >> [1] http://hackaday.com/blog/page/49/
22 >>
23 > Lego rope-braiding? How does this relate to Gentoo, again?!
26 Sorry, I thought that link was directly to the article.
27
28 Further down the page is an article "Neutralizing Intel’s Management
29 Engine".
30
31 Still, it is an interesting category of security issues that are
32 embedded in hardware issues, similar to the 6502 code under the
33 gstreamer problems.
36 http://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2016/11/0day-exploit-compromising-linux-desktop.html
39 I mostly curious is there is interest for a project. It could easily
40 be a sub-project of gentoo-embedded too....
43 James