From: Morgan Christiansson <mcn0816@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFree86 problem
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:07:11
1 I found a nice tool called 'xf86cfg', a graphical XFree86-4
2 configuration tool, http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.2/xf86cfg.1.html .
3
4 But id didn't work and there were some error's about font's.
5
6 Is there any way to make this tool work? I'll try the good ol'
7 'xf86config' too.
8
9 But not today, cya later..
12 Morgan Christiansson wrote:
13
14 > Hi, when installing gentoolinux rc3 i downloaded all of them bunzip'd
15 > and un-tar'd them all onto an ext2 partition and configured as on the page.
16 >
17 > To get XFree4 working i copied my RedHat 7 configuration file to
18 > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. It didn't find it but that's not important now
19 > cause i specified with "startx -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
20 >
21 > Well, at first it boot's up nice but after the mode switches and the
22 > black&white checked background is supposed to show up it just shows a
23 > black screen (but it's not powersave mode). Has anyone else experienced
24 > this?
25 >
26 > I'm attaching /var/log/XFree86.0.log so you can see what happens. No
27 > error's at the end.
28 >
29 > I'm using a Creative GeForce 256.
30 >
31 > I'd love to send you /var/log/XFree86.0.log but it got overwritten with
32 > a "No screens found" error :(
33 >
34 > Problably this is a XFree problem so i'll check the xfree86.org page for
35 > more info.
40 Morgan Christiansson