From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 17:03:22
1 On 14.06.22 18:33, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
2 > So my idea here is: instead of chucking EGO_SUM (automatically
3 > generated declarative dependency management) out the window, can we not
4 > separate the two and instead of uploading the tarball upload the
5 > dependency set instead?
6 I think that this idea that has been pitched already (see for example
7 Robin's post [1]), although in a broader non-Go-specific sense and it is
8 one obvious way to move forward.
9
10 An, and probably the largest, obstacle is that this can not be
11 implemented in an eclass alone. Due the sandboxing during the build
12 process, fetching distfiles, which is what we are talking about, is the
13 package managers job and hence, I believe, this would require adustments
14 to the package manager and package manager specification (PMS).
15
16 The basic idea, at least to my understanding (or how I would propose
17 it), is to have a new top-level ebuild variable
18
19 SRC_URI_FILE="https://example.org/manifests/restic-0.13.1.files"
20
21 where restic-0.13.1.files contains lines like
22
23 <SRC_URI> <SIZE> <HASH> [<TARGET_FILENAME>]
24
25 which is, as you nicely demonstrated on the restic ebuild, where the
26 bytes contributing to the ebuild size bloat originate from.
27
28 Those bytes are now outsourced from ::gentoo, can be fetched on-demand,
29 allowing the package manager to download the individual distfiles into
30 DISTDIR, where an, e.g., the go eclass can process them further within
31 the constraints of the security sandbox.
32
33 - Flow
36 1:
37 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/8e2a4002bfc6258d65dcf725db347cb9