From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 00:41:40
1 On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:26:52 -0400
2 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > A problem is that people who release kernel patches do not do so at the
5 > same time (e.g. Con Kolivas's second patchset for 2.4.22 is not released
6 > at the same time as Alan Cox's third patchset for 2.4.22 etc etc, so the
7 > version numbers would not work out properly for third-party patchsets,
8 > and people wouldn't know when upgrades were available.
9
10 I had thought about that myself, and quite honestly figured two approaches-
11 bump a revision on patch changes, which would have the side effect of
12 forcing an upgrade on people who don't require it, or more realistically,
13 people using sources other than vanilla you would assume to be atleast
14 tracking the changes somewhat, so as to be notified via the patchmaker, or
15 if a little blurb was added to the changelog when a patch was updated.
16 Currently, I still track changes in the dev-sources by browsing kernel.org
17 every day, even though yall have consistently provided updated ebuilds darn
18 near immediately. So if there was maybe a little info blurb people could
19 look at to know when a patchset was updated, it would work out better with
20 the useflags.
24 Chuck Brewer
25 Registered Linux User #284015
26 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.