From: "Hallgrimur H. Gunnarsson" <hhg@××××.is>
To: Wes Chow <wes@×××××××××.net>
Cc: Martin Lesser <gentoo@××××××××××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE flag 'daemontools' as an alternative to init.d
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:40:55
1 On 11.09.2003 Wes Chow <wes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > > No, that'd be implemented in another layer above daemontools itself
4 > > (provided that you'd even want to do that with daemontools).
5 > > Daemontools is not meant to replace init.d in network initialization,
6 > > which isn't a daemon, so you couldn't supervise
7 > > it with daemontools. Daemontools is for managing daemons,
8 > > starting, stopping, restarting, status, signal delivery.
9 >
10 > But, can't daemons have dependencies on other daemons as well? For
11 > example, nfs depends on portmap. Many of these daemons might also
12 > depend on the system logger. It'd be nice to have the logger supervised
13 > *and* started up before any other daemon.
14
15 Yes they can, but as I vaguely said earlier, daemontools support
16 will only suit a specific group of daemons, i.e. those who're
17 pretty independant, and there are other qualifications as well,
18 such as logging to stdout if you want to use the provided
19 daemontools logging methods, running in foreground, etc.
22 > And the implication with this faq entry:
23 > http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/faq/create.html#why is that daemontools is
24 > supposed to mostly replace all these init systems.
25
26 Yap, and it can, but as I said earlier, it'd have to implemented
27 in another layer above daemontools.
30 > At any rate, somebody else mentioned runit, which claims to be
31 > daemontools-like and has dependency support (and a more conventional
32 > license). "emerge search runit" didn't come up with anything, but maybe
33 > it should get some brain time as an option to daemontools?
34
35 Yes, runit was written by the same guy (Gerrit Pape) that converted
36 the html documentation to man pages for daemontools. I've checked
37 it out, but I havent used it yet. It might be nice to have a
38 runit USE flag too, if it works well. However, for the time being
39 we also need a daemontools USE flag, since there's obviously demand
40 for it, and there are services using daemontools now (qmail, djbdns).
43 > And after reading your bug posting, I agree that it would be nice to
44 > have automatically merged run scripts for daemons just in case you want
45 > to use a daemontool-like system.
46
47 :-)
48