From: Chris Richards <gizmo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic testing on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 21:11:56
1 On 05/10/2011 03:13 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > So, why "more testing"? For starters, more *automatic* testing. Then
3 > more testing as reports from testing can help greatly in identifying
4 > when things break and why they break. As someone that looks over the
5 > automatic stage building for amd64 and x86, and that has to talk to
6 > teams / developers when things break, having more, more in depth and
7 > regular automatic testing would help my (releng) job.
8 While I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment being expressed here, I
9 just want to point out and remind everyone that automated testing is no
10 substitute for real live people using (and breaking) things. People are
11 remarkably inventive and creative when it comes to finding ways to break
12 things in ways that the developers never even considered.
13
14 All I'm trying to say is that I've seen (and worked on) far too many
15 teams in the past that fell into the trap of thinking automated testing
16 was sufficient. It isn't, but it certainly goes a long way towards
17 helping make the manual tester's lives better, by letting them focus on
18 finding those problems that aren't (for one reason or another)
19 reproducible in an automated testing scenario.
20
21 Later,
22 Chris