From: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PR Project Activity Issues
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 04:28:35
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:30 AM, AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > My idea for a web-only setup would require more initial work, but I think
3 > would make maintenance much easier once set up. The Gentoo Newsletter would
4 > become a separate website, not based on GuideXML, but on a standard CMS.
5 > Instead of having set release dates (weekly or monthly), articles would just
6 > be released as soon as they are produced.
7 >
8 > The regular features like bug stats, GLSAs, developer changes could be
9 > easily generated automatically (I suspect almost all of those are mostly
10 > done automatically anyway - adapting such scripts for a CMS that can publish
11 > from RSS feeds should be relatively trivial) and would appear on the website
12 > without any intervention.
13
14 Allan, firstly I really like and appreciate that you're interested in
15 Gentoo PR. You're not the only one concerned about it :) I also tried
16 to help out with the newsletter a few months ago... not the best
17 experience.
18
19 However. Besides bugstats and dev join/retires, gentoo.org/index2.xml
20 has already implemented everything you're talking about. It gets news
21 as soon as it's written, has GLSAs and package additions generated
22 automatically (could add removals), plus the blog roll is such a great
23 step toward showing the active side of gentoo.
24
25 What would be _really_ cool is if the WYSISYG guideXML editor
26 quantumsummers is (was?) working on allowed users and devs alike to
27 submit news stories to the PR team.
28
29 Anyway, It sounds like your idea is essentially getting rid of the
30 newsletter and adding more automatic stats to the front page. No need
31 to create a new page with a different CMS.
32
33 Thoughts?
34
35 -Doug