From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: [Future EAPI] Exporting phase funcs from direct inherits only
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:17:14
1 On 08/14/2012 01:54 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:45:56 +0100
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 11:44:49 +0200
6 >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> As some of you may have noticed, lately introduced 'double include
8 >>> preventions' have caused changes in effective phase functions in a
9 >>> few ebuilds. Also, often it is undesirable that change in inherits
10 >>> of an eclass may cause an undesired change of exported functions.
11 >>
12 >> The problem here is that eclasses aren't clearly split between
13 >> "utility" and "does stuff", so people are inheriting "does stuff"
14 >> eclasses to get utilities. The fix is to stop having stupidly huge
15 >> complicated eclasses; changing inherit behaviour is just wallpapering
16 >> over the gaping hole.
17
18 Ciaran's assessment sounds pretty accurate to me.
19
20 > Soo, how do you propose to handle bug 422533 without changing inherit
21 > behavior?
22
23 Close it as WONTFIX. The ifndef thing that we're doing now seems like a
24 reasonable approach.
25 --
26 Thanks,
27 Zac