From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Commented packages in the @system set
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:27:42
1 On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > However, I don't think this is the criterion used to determine what
4 > should be in @system. The wiki defines the system set as the set that
5 > "contains the software packages required for a standard Gentoo Linux
6 > installation to run properly".
9 IMO that is a pretty poor definition, and we aren't really forced to
10 stick with it regardless of how it got there.
11
12 But, I tend to be an advocate of a minimal @system. Really, I'd
13 prefer if it were split and renamed @bootstrap and @common or
14 something like that, and if it was only used by catalyst and could not
15 be relied upon as being installed by default. My all means stick it
16 in the default /var/lib/portage/world for convenience, but users
17 shouldn't get scary warnings when they uninstall openssh.
21 Rich