From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Revise EAPI 6? (was: [RFC] ban use of base-4 casemods in ebuilds due to locale collation instability)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:48:52
1 >>>>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:16:42 +0100
4 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Wouldn't it be 'easier' (fsov easy) to have portage use sane-default
6 >> locale settings, so that estonian or turkish users don't get hit by
7 >> weirdness in the [a-z] character class etc.?
8
9 > Paludis forces all the LC variables to sane values. A few vocal
10 > annoying users hate this, and patch it out...
11
12 Unfortunately, that doesn't help us, since ebuilds cannot rely on it.
13
14 Should we revise EAPI 6? It hasn't been cleared for usage in the tree
15 yet, so should be still possible. Losing such an important feature of
16 bash-4 seems to be reason enough. (And obviously, some people had been
17 aware of the problem. Why did nobody speak up before the spec was
18 approved?)
19
20 Paludis seems to do this:
21
22 unset LANG ${!LC_*}
23 export LC_ALL=C
24
25 We could just add this to the spec. Alternatively, something less
26 intrusive, like setting only LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE.
27
28 We already have LC_MESSAGES=C in the base profile, per 20130813
29 Council decision.
30
31 Ulrich