From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 04:17:55
1 On 08/07/2016 10:22 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 16:49:01 -0500
3 > james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> After that feat is accomplished, then a similar deployment of a
6 >> gentoo cluster on a those just installed gentoo minimal images, via a
7 >> few keystrokes (I am flexible on the cluster codes that comprise the
8 >> cluster). Then (only after those 2 things are robustly accomplished)
9 >> I do intend to return to my java travails (search out bgo, as I have
10 >> a long love-hate relationship with java on gentoo).....
11 >
12 > I think its probably worth mentioning that there are likely problems
13 > Gentoo faces around Java that are of a legal manner, not merely
14 > technical.
15 >
16 > Like for instance, the fact you can't install the official Orcale/Sun
17 > JDK/JRE automatically is due to the fact:
18 >
19 > - They prohibit replication/mirroring
20 > - Their website requires a license agreement acceptance to download
21 >
22 > And the latter of these is /plausible/ to automate via curl and some
23 > "Set cookies" magic ( apparently arch do this ), but falls into a legal
24 > grey area.
27 > If this is a problem we have simply downloading and installing, I'd
28 > imagine there are other problems we face having it on ready-to-go media.
31 So the minimal default automated installs would not carry java code; OK.
32 Yep, traversing the install semantics, so it is paused for a licensed
33 download, as necessary, is not a show stopper. I'm pretty sure I used
34 maven, sbt, icedtea and curl for these cluster ebuilds in question;
35 Apache-Mesos and Apache-Spark. There are hacked ebuilds in BGO. I'm
36 pretty sure Mesos was reorganized so all the third party stuff are
37 modular in such a fashion that the issues you point out have legal
38 install solution. In fact Mesos is purported to almost all C++ code
39 now and the other languages issue are not part ot the core of Mesos,
40 or something to that effect I read somewhere.
43 I'm no java expert, so surely a dev with that sort of expertise could
44 take a look, and fix them or give me guidance. Mesos installs. My
45 Apache-spark ebuild needed some manual fiddling with sbt, during the
46 install to get it to install to Spark, so it is a bit broken.
47 Apache-Spark is a bit more complex, but it has progressed to version
48 2.0, since I hack an ebuild for 1.5. Tons of folks ((big opensource
49 projects) use them, so surely there is a way to solve these issues, for
50 devs with that sort of knowledge and meet gentoo standards?
51
52 BGO-510912 (Apache-Mesos) and BGO-523412 (Apache-Spark)
55 Thanks,
56 James