From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP system worthwhile?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:25:28
1 Ian Leitch wrote: [Fri Mar 11 2005, 09:50:01AM CST]
2 > The effort required to get GLEPs even posted on glep.g.o is enough to
3 > put some people off.
4
5 Really? It's usually just a matter of e-mailing me. I read through
6 it, and if I see that the GLEP fails to answer some questions that I
7 predict will arise, I will generally mention it to the GLEP author and
8 suggest that such issues be addressed, even it is just to add a
9 section labeled "open questions". Very occasionally I will mention to
10 an author that I don't think a GLEP is actually needed, and suggest
11 that the author just talk to the appropriate person and implement it.
12 I don't believe that I have ever outright refused a GLEP, or even added
13 more than a day to the time for it to be posted.
14
15 Most of these issues are moot, however, because in many cases GLEP
16 authors prefer to post an informal GLEP on -dev first, gather comments,
17 and then submit a formal GLEP after an initial revision.
18
19 > I propose that a dev is free to upload a GLEP in any state of
20 > completeness/correctness as they wish, devs can then vote on said GLEP.
21 > If the GLEP author makes changes, devs then vote again on that revision.
22 > This system also gives power back to the devs (and users if they're
23 > allowed to vote) and away from the GLEP editors.
24
25 It's worth noting that a GLEP author need not be a dev, so those
26 people, of course, would always require a surrogate to submit/revise
27 GLEPs. As for devs being able to upload/revise GLEPs, I'm not opposed.
28 The reason that devs cannot update their own GLEPs right now is purely
29 technical: the GLEP page is part of the www tree, and that tree has
30 fairly strict permissions. If opening up the GLEP directory isn't too
31 much of a pita for infra, I certainly won't oppose it. I would still
32 prefer that GLEPs be run by one of the editors before being posted,
33 since we may be able to help, but I wouldn't insist on it. I would be
34 very sad, though, if people took advantage of a more liberal policy to
35 post poorly-thought-out junk.
36
37 -g2boojum-
38 --
39 Grant Goodyear
40 Gentoo Developer
41 g2boojum@g.o
42 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
43 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76