From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: use of the /run directory
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 08:31:16
1 On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 May 2011 12:35:12 +0530
3 > Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> As I understand it, that's precisely what William's plan is.
6 >>
7 >> $ ls -ld /var/{lock/run}
8 >> /var/lock -> /run/lock
9 >> /var/run -> /run/
10 >>
11 >> This should work transparently for all existing applications.
12 >>
13 >> The only way this would fail is if they do an incorrect stat() on
14 >> /var/run and error out if it's a symbolic link. OTOH, it's precisely
15 >> to iron out such kinks that we have ~arch.
16 >
17 > What if a daemon tries to do braindead compat attempt through creating
18 > a pidfile in both directories?
21 I think the answer is obvious — we patch it to use /run/lock ...
25 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
26
27 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team