From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-embedded] Interactive command
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:07:59
1 On Tuesday 23 August 2005 17:12, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > >
3 > > Wouldn't it better suit our needs to write a configuration program
4 > > that packages can feed some custom configuration questions, and that
5 > > then spits out something that can be used by the ebuilds. This would
6 > > allow offline configuration of ebuilds etc. And something that was
7 > > saved.
8 >
9 > This limits the possibilities of what can be done, no? For example,
10 > answers determining the following questions or the selection of
11 > questions based on how the package was installed. Indeed there could be
12 > different questions based on whether it appears to be an upgrade or
13 > fresh install.
14 >
15 > If the only benefits are being able to provide a consistent interface
16 > and "offline" configuration, I don't really see the effort being worth
17 > it. A usable interface abstraction can't really be created until the
18 > requirements are known (which they're not due to pkg_config being
19 > severely underused) and batched configuration can be done by creating a
20 > text file with answers and piping.
21
22 You're right. Such a program could anyway be used for most packages. That
23 might currently be a better solution (and would limit the complexity of
24 the program).
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze