From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: licenses@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on distributed patented software
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 12:54:48
1 On 9/20/2021 14:15, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 01:27:37PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 12:46 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Could we add some text to the license concepts covering patents? It
6 >>> seems to have been omitted?
7 >>> Is my understanding of how we manage patented software correct?
8 >>
9 >> I think you have the gist of it. Is there actually anything in the
10 >> repo these days which is patent-encumbered? I realize this is a
11 >> little tangential, but I think this is probably why we don't have a
12 >> well-thought policy: it just doesn't come up much.
13 > Elliptic Curve cryptography is the most topical & impactful thing I'm
14 > aware of.
15 >
16 > RedHat have for many years stripped parts of it out of their OpenSSL &
17 > libgcrypt packages, and continue to do it with OpenSSL-3 [1] (I note
18 > that somebody has dropped these patches from Gentoo's openssl as of v3
19 > and I intend to restore them).
20 >
21 > RedHat's legal team clearly know something there that they aren't
22 > disclosing the details of publicly, because the patches said the patents
23 > expire in 2020, but when I asked off-list if EC could be re-enabled
24 > based on the expiry dates in the files, they claimed that patent issues
25 > were still present, without giving any detail.
26 >
27 > Somebody else ALSO asked about the Brainpool EC curves specifically and
28 > similarly got nowhere [2].
29 >
30 > [1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openssl/c/347681c6b246d9b6a08c73bb40e5eefaf8596d71?branch=rawhide
31 > [2] https://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-legal/msg03673.html
34 [snip]
35
36 Is there any advice on how this impacts net-misc/dropbear? That has ECC
37 (both ECDSA and Ed25519) support, and I use it for SGI/MIPS netboot images.
38 The build doesn't have any bindist uses in it, and ECC support is a
39 localoptions.h compile-time option (enabled by default). ECC is much faster
40 on old SGI hardware and generating the hostkeys at bootup takes just a
41 second or two, whereas RSA can take up to 10-15 seconds. So I'd like to be
42 able to use ECC on these platforms and distribute netboot images using them.
45 Joshua Kinard
46 Gentoo/MIPS
47 kumba@g.o
48 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
49 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
50
51 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
52 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
53
54 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic