From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
To: matt c <matt@×××××××××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev ML <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making metadata.xml pay off and removing pkg_postinst crud
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:50:06
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 With each new version, there are new LiveCDs, new stages, and new GRPs, IIRC.
5
6 On Friday 15 August 2003 03:48 am, matt c wrote:
7 > From: "Zack Gilburd" <klasikahl@g.o>
8 >
9 > >Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 8:06 PM
10 > >Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 final against rc's
11 > >
12 > >This notion has been expressed over and over again -- and it's a very good
13 > >one. I, too, think that Gentoo should move away from the concept of
14 > >definitive releases. However, it would be very hard to distinguish
15 >
16 > landmark
17 >
18 > >releases from eachother without some sort of versioning system.
19 >
20 > <snip>
21 >
22 > I think that's the point though - Gentoo does not have a versioning system,
23 > nor does it need one. It is an OS in constant metamorphosis. It's like
24 > telling people "I'm 30 years old" - you're not really 30, you're 30 years,
25 > 5 months, 2 days, etc.
26 >
27 > >I really have no ideas on how else it should be done, but it does need a
28 > >change. Some users feel obligated to reinstall, and do so needlessly.
29 >
30 > I think that's because Gentoo is trying to use a versioning system that is
31 > applied to other "set" operating systems - set implying specific versions
32 > of binaries getting shipped with the packaged OS, and these are updated en
33 > masse each version. To have the latest release you DO have to upgrade with
34 > upgrade CDs or other like ilk.
35 >
36 > The ONLY set packaged OS Gentoo has (AFAIK) are the stages. Perhaps
37 > instead of calling it Gentoo 1.4 it should be something like Gentoo
38 > Stage1-1.4, etc. Gentoo LiveCD-1.4. Change the install documentation to
39 > point out that the install images are the only thing getting changed each
40 > version increment, and that each time they do an --update world they are
41 > effectively getting the latest version of gentoo. Calling it Gentoo 1.4 is
42 > a really a misnomer and is also misleading.
43 >
44 > (Puts 2 cents in tip jar)
45 >
46 > Matt