From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: mpickers@××××××××××××.au
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Stage3 tarball not complete?
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:16:57
1 Hey all,
2
3 Just a thought to put to you all.
4
5 The stage 3 tarball is a good idea. Allows one to get a system up quickly but
6 it seems odd that one would still have to emerge a logger and a cron daemon.
7
8 At the very least, wouldn't it make sense to provide the distfiles (to allow
9 for compilation) so that network access wouldn't be required to have a
10 working base system? At least provide a default one (like you guys provide
11 the gentoo linux sources to save the download), I would think syslogd for
12 compatibility, and leave the others as emergible options?
13
14 I think the point of the stage 3 tarball is primarily to save time, but might
15 also be good to not require network access.
16
17 Perhaps I am thinking of a future stage 4 tarball that includes X (but not
18 desktop managers) and everything one would need to impliment routers,
19 gatways, mailserver (with a default MTA) etc without a net connection.
20
21 Perhaps this isn't the point of Gentoo, but if the admin loves it on the
22 desktop, he will eventually wish it on the server. I have been told that no
23 one recommends it though. Maybe in the future.
24
25 Evan.