From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:09:55
1 On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:49:39 +0300 Tommi Pirinen
2 <tommi.pirinen@××××××××.fi> wrote:
3 | The main deal with this whole discussion to me as end user seems that
4 | gentoo's bugzilla has gotten very much of the reputation that bugs
5 | just sit there without no one noticing. As you might have noticed this
6 | concern comes up a lot in the user fora and granted, the reason might
7 | be the stupidity of users, but I'm sure it won't go away soon. Most of
8 | the people complaining about it do report at other projects as well,
9 | and from my and their experience other projects do have quite a lot
10 | better response times from bugzilla than gentoo does. Of course this
11 | bug voting wouldn't be much of help to the actual problem, more than
12 | just slowdown for the most eager bug reporters.
13
14 I've been flamed by a couple of users for not adding a broken gtk-2 file
15 selector patch to gvim. There're several "please add my horridly broken
16 ebuild for this lame package which is full of bugs and unmaintained
17 upstream" bugs which I'd love to close as WONTFIX, but past experience
18 has shown that it's generally easiest to just leave them alone. Closing
19 a bug as WONTFIX really upsets some people, no matter what the reason.
20 If I ignore a bug instead, chances are no-one's gonna know that I'm the
21 person to flame :)
22
23 | >Good example: the automagic link detection before DHCP feature that
24 | >people keep on wanting in baselayout. Looks nice on the surface, lots
25 | >of people saying "yes please", but suddenly when it's implemented we
26 | >get thousands of users with broken networking because it turns out
27 | >that that nifty link detection feature isn't universally reliable.
28 | >
29 | So it's users' fault that someone implemented and released broken
30 | feature?
31
32 No no. It's that people keep on submitting patches for a thing which we
33 already know is broken, despite there being existing bugs documenting
34 why it ended up not working.
37 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
38 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
39 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm