From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 22:33:44
1 On Mon, 2020-12-28 at 22:00 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > I would like to discuss the possibility of discontinuing LibreSSL
4 > > support in Gentoo in favor of sticking with OpenSSL.
5 >
6 > I think that's a horrible idea, since Gentoo is about choice and this
7 > particular component is one of the most important in a system.
8 >
9 > But "support" can mean different things...
12 > > LibreSSL users, does LibreSSL today have any benefit over OpenSSL?
13 >
14 > Yes, at least two:
15 >
16 > A. It is a distinct implementation with probably /quite some/ stable
17 > compatibility, meaning that it will work perfectly fine as an
18 > alternative in many cases.
19
20 Except that it doesn't, as has been proven numerous times.
23 > B. It brings its own TLS API, a unique feature which by itself
24 > warrants
25 > the package.
26
27 ...which by itself has no future and only means some people will create
28 less portable applications and then regret it.
32 > > All this considered, provided that nobody is able to find a good
33 > > reason
34 > > to use LibreSSL, I would like to propose that we stop patching
35 > > packages, discontinue support for it and last rite it.
36 >
37 > There is no reason at all to do all three of those atomically:
38 >
39 > 1. Stop patching packages to make them build also against libressl
40 > 2. Stop maintaining libressl-*.ebuild
41 > 3. package.mask
42 >
43 > I think the complaint is really only about 1. and I can understand
44 > that the effort here outweighs the perceived benefit, that's fine,
45 > I don't think it's the responsibility of Gentoo developers to patch
46 > the world to build also against libressl.
47 >
48 > But as long as a single package can be built with either openssl or
49 > libressl without changes I consider it appropriate to maintain both
50 > libressl ebuilds and either virtual/openssl or another way to decide
51 > system-wide to use libressl instead of openssl. This remains very
52 > valuable especially for non-releng stages.
53 >
54 > More elaborate OpenSSL API users can (arguably should) just block on
55 > libressl instead of requiring patch work.
56
57 It's all nice theory but in practice it means that nobody will be able
58 to install libressl because some important system packages will block
59 it. So we'd effectively waste our users' time pretending that we do
60 support LibreSSL, while anyone actually trying it will hit a brick
61 wall.
62
63 This sounds like the argument 'let's not remove broken packages, people
64 can read the 5 page forum thread on how to get them to work,
65 somewhat!'.
68 Best regards,
69 Michał Górny