From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 01:54:18
1 > On 11 Mar 2022, at 19:39, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 3/11/2022 03:54, Mart Raudsepp wrote:> Ühel kenal päeval, N, 10.03.2022
4 > kell 18:18, kirjutas Joshua Kinard:
5 >>> I stick to the officially-published method of checking and committing
6 >>> changes:
7 >>> https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-maintenance/git/index.html
8 >>>
9 >>> The two tools highlighted there for the bulk of the work is repoman
10 >>> and pkgdev. repoman is cited twelve times, pkgdev is cited six times.
11 >>> pkgcheck is mentioned once. pkgcommit has no mentions.
12 >>>
13 >>> From that, one should not be faulted for assuming that repoman is the
14 >>> more important tool, if not preferred tool, with pkgdev coming in
15 >>> second place. pkgcheck comes across as entirely optional and even
16 >>> seems equivalent to 'repoman full', and how would one know that
17 >>> pkgcommit even exists?
18 >>
19 >> I believe the very purpose of this thread is to have a consensus/pre-
20 >> announcement before actually editing the official documentation as part
21 >> of the process of deprecating repoman.
22 >
23 > I feel that the documentation should have had more mentions of these newer
24 > tools as their adoption by other developers accelerated. Documentation
25 > doesn't have to have a fixed point in time when it fully changes over. It
26 > can change organically, like almost everything else in the project.
27
28 Well, I've done that. I've been adding pkgcheck and pkgdev to the devmanual
29 over time, and to the wiki.
30
31 > [snip]
32
33 >> Also the benefit of using pkgcheck is to actually be able to make the
34 >> same checks that CI would do before you push, so you can amend your
35 >> commits to fix issues before they hit the server and CI and break the
36 >> tree. pkgcheck is so fast that it can do full tree checks in a
37 >> reasonable time (repoman would take days on a radiator mips when you go
38 >> outside single package), and I believe has features to have it check all
39 >> your commits that haven't been pushed yet at once, checking only what it
40 >> can to not be too slow to not use (so you don't need to run the check
41 >> with each commit but for all of them once you commit - and if issues,
42 >> again, git interactive rebase).
43 >
44 > Speed is really not a big issue for me. I run repoman from my amd64 dev
45 > box, and it's like, maybe 10-13 seconds at most during 'repoman full'? And
46 > my MIPS systems, while not the slowest of slow of that arch, they do teach
47 > you patience over the years.
48 >
49 > The other bits you mention about pkgcheck do sound useful, though. But I am
50 > a stickler for official documentation, because my risk aversion level when
51 > committing to a public repo that can affect hundreds of thousands of users
52 > is *extremely* high. When I first signed up as a dev and we had the
53
54 It is already mentioned in the devmanual, but we can add it in more places
55 if you specify which.