From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage Category: dev-scheme
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:25:29
1 On Tuesday 27 January 2004 05:29, Jean Jordaan wrote:
2 > Always when this comes back up I wish portage didn't categorize
3 > in terms of an arbitrary fixed tree, but in terms of a flat list
4 > (or alphabetical tree) of packages, where each package has one
5 > or more keywords. In this case, scheme would have keywords like:
6 No. This will completely prohibit browsing the tree (yes, there are some of us
7 who actually do this ;)). True, not always you can assign the unique category
8 and lately some of them are becoming quite long. However the econd one is
9 easily solved by multilevel categories. As for the first one..
10
11 A combined proposal for multilevel categories (like
12 dev/lisp/{common,scheme...} might be in this case) and for search keywords
13 went in for portage-ng some time ago (gentoo-portage-dev mailing list). There
14 is absolutely no reason to limit us to one approach when we can easily have
15 both ;). Unfortunately I do not think this will happen before transition to
16 portage-ng (read for quite a while).
17
18 George
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list