From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] License issues [WAS: Marking GPL-incompatible linkage?]
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:24:41
1 * Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> schrieb:
2 > On Saturday 23 December 2006 22:35, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > > I'm not an license expert
4 > Then shut up.
5 >
6 > You're wrong, it's true for dynamic linking as well as for
7 > static linking.
8
9 I don't understand that. Please give some help.
10
11 The situation:
12
13 * Some package A is importing an library with some interface I
14 * Some other package B provides an library with some interface I
15
16 The author of B can decide who may import an certain interface,
17 just because he wrote an lib providing this interface ?
18
19 Where does his legitimation come from ?
20 Copyright ? -> where's his code here ?
21 Patents ? -> are they legal ?
22
23 If this would be true, then evryone who's writing some proprietary
24 library can prohibit writing drop-in-replacements. So I wonder why
25 so many of them exist, obviously legal.
26
27 Where's my mistake ?
30 cu
31 --
33 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
35 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
36 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
37 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
38 http://patches.metux.de/
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list