From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 04:58:50
1 Richard Freeman posted on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:19:29 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 10/03/2010 09:26 PM, Duncan wrote:
4 >> The problem is that "in-tree" is a reasonably bounded set of builds,
5 >> while "out-of-tree" is unlimited. Practically speaking, I simply don't
6 >> see how Gentoo can be concerned with "out-of-tree" in general.
7 >
8 > If any other distro had that attitude Gentoo (and other source-based
9 > distros) would be the only ones that provided packages for GCC, since no
10 > other distro requires a functioning toolchain to install packages.
11
12 Interesting viewpoint. But I disagree that it is so. Rather, for binary
13 distros, while gcc and the rest of the toolchain may not be /required/ for
14 user-side maintenance of the distribution itself, they're certainly
15 packages that provide a specific set of functionality. As such, they're
16 included in general distributions where such functionality may be desired,
17 for much the same reason KDE or LAMP are included -- they are useful
18 enough for a wide enough segment of the userbase to justify inclusion.
19 OTOH, more specialized distributions may not include them, because they're
20 simply not needed for the designated target usage.
21
22 In gentoo-speak, binary distributions include toolchain packages not as
23 part of @system, but for those who wish to use them in their @world.
24
25 If Gentoo were therefore to take a binary distro approach, we'd do split-
26 packages. Much as the binary distros have package-x and package-x-dev
27 (which I'd guess include the *.la files, BTW), we'd have package-x and
28 package-x-la, or some such.
29
30 Of course, the gentoo version of that is USE flags, FEATURES, etc. Which
31 means we're "in violent agreement!" =:^) and brings us back to...
32
33 > I like the USE flag proposal because it lets us have our cake and eat it
34 > too. Those who don't need .la files don't get them except where
35 > absolutely essential, and those who need and are willing to live with
36 > tons of them can have it their way.
37 >
38 > Gentoo is about choice...
39
40 The key-variable (whether USE flag, FEATURE, or a bit more hidden) based
41 trigger does seem the pragmatic solution here.
42
43 Flameeyes, yes, I understand your objection to it on technical grounds as
44 unnecessary complexity. And I freely admit I'm not technically astute
45 enough (in reality, probably few Gentoo devs are, with certain noted
46 exceptions, of course) to debate you on the merits, there. On the
47 technical side, AFAIAC [1] you win by stipulation.
48
49 But there's more to life than being technically correct. A centralized
50 la-file-stripper implementation seems to make sense in any case, and once
51 it's centralized, exposing a control variable for it is little additional
52 trouble. Given the choice between allowing for the control variable in
53 ordered to establish the necessary consensus and getting it deployed in
54 months, vs either continuing to debate it for years or simply steamrolling
55 it thru without that option, whatever the technical merits, I agree with
56 rich0, the control variable seems the /clear/ winner, here.
57
58 Assuming that's the way it ultimately goes, what remains is to settle on
59 the nature of the control variable. There are merits in something
60 slightly hidden, but OTOH, the USE flag idea has merits of its own. It
61 seems to me that the usual solution in similar cases is a USE flag, but
62 masked. So count this as a vote for a masked USE flag. =:^)
63
64 ---
65 [1] AFAIAC: As Far as I am concerned:
66 http://www.onelook.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/bware/dofind.cgi?word=AFAIAC
71 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman