From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pr@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] News item v2: potential file collisions during OpenCL upgrade
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 21:54:33
1 All the comments made so far have been considered. Regarding the
2 possibility of automating the process, I think I would rather not
3 bother... It feels hacky indeed, it would likely have to persist in
4 loader ebuilds until eselect-opencl has been removed, and it would
5 either require an eclass or have to be implemented independently in each
6 of the loader packages (not that I expect to have more than two any time
7 soon - but still, that's one copy of the same hack too many) - and all
8 of this to address a configuration that isn't even the Gentoo default.
9 Besides, letting the users know that something's changing in how we
10 handle OpenCL will IMHO not hurt even if they in the end do not have to
11 change anything by hand.
12
13 * * *
14
15 Title: Potential file collisions during OpenCL upgrade
16 Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
17 Posted: 2020-05-01
18 Revision: 1
19 News-Item-Format: 2.0
20 Display-If-Installed: app-eselect/eselect-opencl
21
22 OpenCL support in Gentoo is now being migrated to having all
23 implementations operate through an ICD loader (dev-libs/ocl-icd or
24 dev-libs/opencl-icd-loader) installed directly into /usr rather than
25 using eselect-opencl to switch between implementations, with updated
26 loader ebuilds having just been released to the public. Unfortunately
27 although the upgrade process will automatically uninstall
28 app-eselect/eselect-opencl, it will not remove the symbolic links to
29 libOpenCL.so created by this tool in library directories because those
30 links are not owned by the package in question.
31
32 For everyone using the default Gentoo configuration of collision
33 protection (FEATURES='-collision-protect protect-owned'), this should
34 cause no trouble because this configuration allows the overwriting of
35 orphaned files. Obviously, systems with collision protection completely
36 disabled (not recommended but technically possible) will not be affected
37 either. However, if your system is configured for full collision
38 protection (FEATURES=collision-protect), it will be necessary to
39 manually remove those links
40
41 rm -i /usr/lib{,64}/libOpenCL.so*
42