From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:04:50
1 On 16/01/2014 19:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3 >> Sergey Popov wrote:
4 >>> As i said earlier, problem begins when we NEED to stabilize
5 >>> something to prevent breakages and arch teams are slow.
6 >>
7 >> Isn't that simply a matter of assigning and respecting priority on
8 >> bugs properly?
9 >
10 > Are you suggesting that we should forbid people from working on
11 > lower-priority bugs anytime a higher-priority bug exists? That would
12 > probably just reduce the amount of contribution. You can't force
13 > anybody to work on the higher-priority ones.
14 >
15 > Sure, in an ideal world people work on the high-priority stuff.
16 > However, often somebody either prefers to work on a lower-priority
17 > bug, or finds it easier to do so. Simply marking a bug as
18 > high-priority doesn't make the bug get resolved.
19 >
20 > Bottom line is that people work on what they work on. Unless you can
21 > find people to work on the stuff that you want done you need to make
22 > work go away.
23
24 +1
25
26 "Respecting bug priority" feels like that corporate BS I have to put up
27 with every day. Like every sysadmin team world-wide, we're understaffed
28 so the only bugs that get any attention at all are ones where some fool
29 of a manager thinks he can shout louder than anyone else.
30
31 Gentoo is not like that. As you say, devs will work on what they feel
32 like working on, heavily influenced by their own sense of
33 responsibility. We have nothing to offer maintainers except
34 fuzzy-feel-good and recognition; we have to trust them to do the right
35 thing.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com