From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Drivers/Portage
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:31:32
1 Jason Rhinelander posted <40F82EE5.5030501@××××××××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:39:17 -0700:
3
4 > Again, basically what Kudzu does. To be honest, way back when I used
5 > Redhat and/or Mandrake, I found the automatic hardware detection
6 > terribly annoying.
7
8 Fresh from Mandrake, here, and no kidding about the annoying detection.
9 For one thing, if I let it do its thing, it would have killed my very
10 carefully constructed comments in for instance fstab. One time I let it
11 do so and it munched the comments into what it thought were a whole bunch
12 of mountpoints, so when I rebooted, I had all sorts of new root level dirs
13 named things like "the", "fs", etc, all the things that had been in my
14 comments, since it "helpfully" created all those dirs, so the non-existent
15 file systems could be mounted on them. <g>
16
17 If their stupid automated tools could learn to leave comments intact, and
18 above the lines they were commenting about, the tools might have
19 actually been worth something, but..
20
21 Now.. I DID like to use their nice visual diskdrake for partitioning,
22 etc.. only I learned NEVER to let it write the changes to fstab, only
23 using it to create and format the partitions. When it asked to write the
24 fstab changes (and thankfully it DID ask, gotta give them credit for
25 that), I'd say no, and do it manually, so I knew exactly what I had, and
26 it stayed in the format I wanted it.
27
28 The same thing, of course, applied to their XF86Config tools. After the
29 initial generation, I never let them touch it again, because I had
30 painstaking manual setups in there for my multi-head xinerama thing, and
31 their took found that to complex to deal with.
32
33 I never tried their auto-lilo.conf editor. However, due to the fact that
34 I was running an unusual setup there as well, and with the experience I
35 had with the other tools, that was probably a good thing.
39 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
40 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
41 Benjamin Franklin
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list