From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo: static/dynamic linking libraries
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:01:39
1 On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:50:58 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:43:29 +0200
4 > Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Those links Jakub posted are interesting, but I don't find an
6 > > explanation why this decission was made. Maybe you have a link to
7 > > that discussion too?
8 >
9 > What decision? That USE=static shouldn't be used for (not) installing
10 > static libraries is simply because the flag is used to control how
11 > (parts of) a package should be linked and global flags
12 > shouldn't be used for completely different purposes. That's been the
13 > case since the beginning, so I doubt you'll find any dicussion about
14 > it.
15
16 The more interesting question is why static libraries are built and
17 installed for most packages at all.
20 Ciaran McCreesh