From: Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Difference between PDEPEND and RDEPEND?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:30:43
1 Hello,
2
3 --On Sonntag, Juli 04, 2004 12:08:14 -0400 Mike Frysinger
4 <vapier@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > On Sunday 04 July 2004 11:52 am, Alexander Holler wrote:
7 >> When the actual portage handles RDEPEND like DEPEND, I understand why
8 >> PDEPEND was included. But I think this doesn't make sense.
9 >
10 > there are valid uses for PDEPEND
11 >
12 > for example, gaim and gaim-encryption ...
13 > gaim:PDEPEND="ssl? ( gaim-encryption )"
14 > gaim-encryption:DEPEND="gaim"
15 >
16 > people want encryption and they want gaim, but they may know nothing
17 > about gaim-encryption ;)
18
19 I don't understand this. If gaim-encryption is not needed for installing
20 gaim, I would use gaim:RDEPEND="ssl? ( gaim-encryption) and
21 gaime-encryption:DEPEND="gaim".
22
23 I understand it, because I now know that RDEPEND is currently handled like
24 DEPEND but i still think this is wrong. RDEPEND could be handled like
25 DEPEND, but to avoid circular dependecies, portage could decide to install
26 a runtime dependency after the packgage which includes the things in his
27 RDEPEND.
28
29 Regards,
30