From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving more architectures to ~arch only
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 18:08:23
1 Sorry about a long delay responding, I ended up being offline until the
2 end of last week and I've had quite a lot of catching up.
3
4 Anyway, let me begin by addressing a sentiment expressed independently
5 in several responses and which could be summarised as "just come and
6 help". A laudable idea in theory - except as a project run entirely by
7 unpaid volunteers, we can neither hire more people nor demand that
8 developers work on more things than they already do. It might sound
9 harsh but if working in particle physics (which like most public-sector
10 research suffers from chronic shortage of manpower comparing to the
11 amount of things to do, and which is nowadays based primarily on
12 large-scale collaborations whose leadership has only minimal authority
13 over individual participants) has taught me anything, it's that it is
14 better to do a good job at two things than a mediocre one at ten.
15
16 Moving on to specific comments: